TransAlta – SCADA Engineer (Alberta or Ontario)
May 10, 2019
Powering Possibilities …for Today & Tomorrow!
A leader in sustainable energy, TransAlta has over 100 years of experience generating power and is one of Canada’s top 50 Socially Responsible Companies since 2009, recognized as a global leader for sustainability and corporate responsibility standards. TransAlta operates 75 facilities in three countries; Australia, Canada, and United States.
TransAlta is committed to fostering a dynamic, productive and safe work environment. Our employees contribute to a diverse, open, and transparent culture with clear accountability, strong leadership and challenging opportunities for personal career growth.
The SCADA Engineer position exists to provide specialized and disciplined first point of contact for controls engineering services and technical oversight to the wind and solar operations. Their duties are focused on providing system diagnostic and troubleshooting support for safe, reliable operations. They are responsible for understanding the equipment/control system condition and risks, developing solutions for resolving issues and supporting the implementation of those solutions. This position could be based at our Calgary, AB office, Pincher Creek, AB or Wolfe Island, ON facilities and will require travel (30-35%) to our facilities in Canada and the US.
- Prepare, schedule, coordinate and monitor technical tasks associated with the assigned engineering projects
- When required, coordinate and oversee suitable engineering consultants
- Review assigned capital projects to confirm that a technically sound option has been selected
- Deliver or oversee engineering work in all stages from front-end engineering design through to detailed scope and construction packages.
- Coordinate scope development with Plant Engineering
- Develop Quality Control Plan, commissioning plans and coordinate/complete hold/witness points and review with Owner’s Engineering
- Coordinate technical support during project execution.
- Research, analyze, and determine technically feasible options for emergent technical issues during projects.
- Provide technical support to the execution team
- Monitor compliance to applicable codes, practices, QA/QC policies, performance standards and specifications
- Interact frequently with the Operations and Maintenance Teams to interpret their needs and requirements and represent them in the field
- Cooperate and communicate effectively with project manager and other project participants to aid and technical support
- Review engineering deliverables and initiate appropriate corrective actions
- Manage technical tasks associated with capital projects MOC’s
- Assess technical risks associated with the assigned project and provide mitigation plans.
- Utilize opportunities improving project delivery and provide value engineering solutions.
- Support the project manager during the project lifecycle to the close out phase.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree in electrical engineering, software engineering, computer science and/ or IT background is required.
- Professional engineering status in jurisdiction of practicing
- Eligible for professional registration in Alberta, Quebec, Ontario and New Brunswick
- Minimum 5 year’s relevant experience.
- Ability to travel 20-30% of time to facilities in Canada and US
- Certifications from MS, Cisco, Security vendors
- Programming knowledge in (but not limited to) C#, Python, VB, JAVA, C/C++, SQL, XML, batch file scripting, Perl and assembly language
- Often have specialized training and certifications in discipline related areas (i.e. Turbine OEM Training, substation operation, vibration analysis, generator protection, power plant performance, SCADA Vendor training and certs etc.)
- Demonstrated experience with industry standard communication protocols.
- Strong experience and knowledge in own discipline with a general knowledge of other disciplines.
- Strong awareness of the technical aspects of the operation under accountability
- Change management theory and practices
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience working in a power generation facility with specific experience desirable.
- Understand and apply the policies, procedures, standards, regulatory and legal requirements that apply to the power generation business in the jurisdictions that we operate
- Field experience is not essential but preferred
Interested applicants can submit Resume and Cover Letter to https://www.transalta.com/careers/. Application deadline: June 9, 2019.
Our comprehensive and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, incentive and rewards programs form the foundation of TransAlta’s excellent employment proposition.
Come on board!
Our commitment is to attract and retain the best talent. This position requires the successful completion of medical and alcohol & drug checks.