TransAlta Corporation – Wind Technician, Wind Operations
March 8, 2018
Powering Possibilities …for Today & Tomorrow!
A leader in sustainable energy, TransAlta has over 100 years of experience generating power and is one of Canada’s top 50 Socially Responsible Companies since 2009, recognized as a global leader for sustainability and corporate responsibility standards. TransAlta operates 75 facilities in three countries; Australia, Canada, and United States.
TransAlta is committed to fostering a dynamic, productive and safe work environment. Our employees contribute to a diverse, open, and transparent culture with clear accountability, strong leadership and challenging opportunities for personal career growth.
TransAlta is currently recruiting for a Wind Technician, Wind Operations for their Melancthon Wind Asset. The purpose of this position is to ensure safe and reliable operation and maintenance of the Melancthon wind asset; through application of operating/maintenance standards, procedures and processes that ensure compliance with regulatory requirements. This position exists to develop and implement operations and maintenance strategies up to a three-month time span. In addition, this role is accountable to provide leadership through developing, implementing and managing the daily to three- month business plan in alignment with the Supervisor’s business plan. This role is accountable to ensure the portfolio adheres to TransAlta’s operating model.
- Ensure optimal performance through daily work scheduling, planning, and implementation of maintenance, service, and repair of wind turbine equipment through a team of wind technicians and contractors capable of producing the agreed deliverables.
- Support the daily to three-month business plan in alignment with the Supervisor’s business plan through driving operational performance, achievement of business results and continuous improvement.
- Ensure operational compliance to EHS, NERC,OHS,etc., plant availability, and cost standards through daily review of work orders for accuracy, completeness, and inventory updates; daily facility metric reporting and accurate record keeping; and monitoring of TZAR report entering and record keeping
- Drive for results in the areas of safety, compliance, plant availability, and cost through providing technical support and assistance to wind technicians; ensuring all routine and preventative maintenance is performed accurately, on time, and of a high quality and documented.
- Support the Supervisor in selecting, developing, and managing a high-performance team of employees and contractors to achieve expected outcomes of the plants. This includes assigning tasks within a team of Technicians (of up to a three-month deliverable) and holding them accountable for delivery.
- Support the Supervisor to ensure staff are adequately trained, qualified and competent in their roles and compliant with mandatory training.
- Identifying and mitigating risk that could negatively impact the agreed to outcomes or business results, and identifying and realizing opportunities that could positively impact the agreed to outcomes or business results.
- Establish a collaborative work environment within the team, peers, stakeholders and support groups to ensure issues may be resolved in a professional and productive manner.
- Deliver after-hours support (on call) as needed to support the site in close working relationship with the Wind Control Centre and the Supervisor.
- Appropriate trade certification in a related discipline with years of related progressive experience
- Comprehensive understanding of concepts and principles within own discipline and knowledge of others
- Thorough understanding of the operational aspects of the plant – technical, compliance, and financial
- Plant risk and related mitigation strategies
- Understanding of site contractual obligations, procurement processes, and vendor qualifications
- Has strong understanding of how related teams coordinate their efforts and resources to achieve objectives.
- Demonstrated capability to:
- Develop, implement and manage the daily to three-month business plan
- Monitor, analyze and forecast operations performance.
- Identify and mitigate risks / realize opportunities.
- In consultation with the Supervisor, support stakeholder relationships and/or needs internally and externally.
- Operate successfully in a multi-tasking environment with changing priorities.
- Identify and implement business and / or productivity improvement initiatives.
- Capture and apply lessons learned.
- Coach and mentor team members
- Build, engage, lead and motivate cross-functional teams.
- Set priorities for and coach team members to meet agreed deliverables.
- Stay calm under pressure – obtains timely input before making decisions.
- Make hard decisions while maintaining the respect of others.
- Collaborate with peers and engage cross-functional support to establish business plans, achieve business results and drive business improvement.
- Communicate and conveys ideas and information, both verbally and in writing, in a way that brings about understanding, commitment and results.
- Promotes co-operation, collaboration and partnership between individuals and groups.
- Demonstrates ownership and commitment to delivering business outcomes and benefits. Holds self-responsible for problems and delivery of results.
- Demonstrates a positive and proactive attitude towards change.
- Committed to strive for continuous improvement and demonstrated ability to apply learnings.
Our comprehensive and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, incentive and rewards programs form the foundation of TransAlta’s excellent employment proposition.
Come on board! Please click here to apply for this position.
Our commitment is to attract and retain the best talent. This position will require the successful completion of one or more background checks such as criminal, medical, or compliance.