TransAlta Corporation – Wind and Solar Environment Advisor
June 11, 2018
Powering Possibilities …for Today & Tomorrow!
A leader in sustainable energy, TransAlta has over 100 years of experience generating power and is one of Canada’s top 50 Socially Responsible Companies since 2009, recognized as a global leader for sustainability and corporate responsibility standards. TransAlta operates 75 facilities in three countries; Australia, Canada, and United States.
TransAlta is committed to fostering a dynamic, productive and safe work environment. Our employees contribute to a diverse, open, and transparent culture with clear accountability, strong leadership and challenging opportunities for personal career growth.
This Wind & Solar, Environmental Advisor position exists to lead and coordinate an Environmental Management System to support safe, compliant and cost effective operations. Particular focus of the Environmental Advisor is to ensure Environmental compliance, due-diligence, environmental protection, analysis, monitoring and reporting including interaction with regulators, consultants and stakeholders.
This position could be located at one of the following TransAlta sites. Pincher Creek, AB – Melancthon, ON – Wolfe Island, ON – Le Nordais, QC
- Accountable to foster a safe-working and environmental culture of excellence while adhering to safe work practices, procedures, standards and policies
- Accountable for environmental protection, analysis, monitoring and reporting as required by TransAlta standards and regulatory compliance, including environmental audits and inspections as required.
- Accountable for environmental regulatory compliance reporting and presenting recommendations to optimize performance of reporting requirements.
- Accountable to provide Wind and Solar staff with training and support on environmental management system processes.
- Accountable to monitor any environmental regulatory changes that affect operations and incorporate into standards and policies.
- Accountable to manage environmental consultants.
- Accountable for environmental permitting, including acquiring new permits/approval renewals or amendments as necessary for TransAlta’s plant operations.
- Accountable to maintain strong relationships and information exchange with local, provincial and federal regulators to ensure TransAlta’s business plans are consistent with regulatory requirements.
- Accountable to conduct and assist operations in incident response; recommendation and implementation of corrective actions; and development of mitigation strategies
- Represent TransAlta on various government and industry working groups.
- Accountable to support the Wind & Solar EHS Advisor in the process of reviewing procedures.
- Accountable to support the French language revision of all Wind & Solar policies and standards.
- Accountable to developing action plans to identify changes to policies, objectives, system components or corrective and preventative actions, and ensure that these action plans are capable of producing the agreed deliverables.
- Accountable to participate on Safety incident investigation teams; help identify corrective action plans
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience as an environmental professional (EP designation preferred)
- B.Sc. in Environmental Sciences or equivalent
- A strong understanding of regulations related to Wind and Solar plant operations
- Demonstrated capability in developing, implementing, and managing a 3-12 month Environmental plan
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision
- Desire to learn new skills and gain diverse competencies
- Bilingual French and English
- Ability to travel up to 30% of the time
- Demonstrated capability to build, engage, lead and motivate cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities for and coach team members to meet agreed deliverables.
- Promotes co-operation, collaboration and partnership between individuals and groups.
- Demonstrates ownership and commitment to delivering business outcomes and benefits. Holds self-responsible for problems and delivery of results.
- Demonstrated ability to stay calm under pressure – obtains timely input before making decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to make hard decisions while maintaining the respect of others.
- Demonstrates a positive and proactive attitude towards change.
- Committed to strive for continuous improvement and demonstrated ability to apply learnings.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with peers and engage cross-functional support to establish business plans, achieve business results and drive business improvement.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with broad audiences (management, team, internal and external stakeholders). Leadership presence
Our comprehensive and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, incentive and rewards programs form the foundation of TransAlta’s excellent employment proposition.
Come on board! Click here to apply for this position.
Our commitment is to attract and retain the best talent. Some positions may require the successful completion of one or more background checks such as criminal, medical, or compliance. If these verifications are needed, they will be indicated on the job posting.