Potentia Renewables – Resource Analyst (Toronto, ON)
June 23, 2020
Potentia Renewables Inc. (“PRI”) is an independent power producer (“IPP”) focused on developing, owning and operating rooftop solar installations, utility scale ground mount solar and wind energy facilities across the Americas. PRI currently has a portfolio of approximately 885 MW of operating or contracted solar and wind energy projects, with a growing development pipeline. PRI is headquartered in Toronto, Ontario.
The Resource Analyst reports directly to the Senior Vice President, Business Development.
Accountabilities and Key Functions
The Resource Analyst is responsible for running internal sophisticated wind flow, solar irradiance, statistical and GIS models to produce long-term wind or solar energy production estimates. Additionally, the Resource Analyst will be responsible for the management of external third-party independent production estimates. This individual will be responsible for the validation, quality control and analysis of raw wind/solar data collected from meteorological campaigns at prospective project sites in all stages of development. This includes the analysis of raw data from fixed meteorological towers and remote sensors, the statistical adjustment of the observed data to historical climatology, and the application of this data to models for the suitability of proposed sites and proposed technology. Additional primary functions of this role are to develop optimal layouts and to manage all wind and solar resource measuring equipment, including installation of new equipment and maintenance of existing equipment.
The position will play an important role in the constant improvement of internal resource assessment best practices to advance our understanding of factors that affect project energy production.
Key Functions include:
- Plan and define the appropriate measurement campaign at prospective sites to ensure the reliability of the production estimate
- Collect, filter, quality control and analyze available data in order to understand climate conditions at every site and estimate the long-term energy production
- Perform geospatial analysis using ArcGIS software and other industry-standard tools to identify turbine locations with maximum energy output, factoring in all project setbacks & constraints.
Role & Responsibilities
- Provide support in planning and development of new wind and solar projects, working closely with the project development, engineering and regulatory teams
- Assess the site suitability with respect to wind turbine selection
- Perform uncertainty analysis in order to assess risk
- Provide support in power curve verification
- Analyze system energy loss due to wiring, transformers, soiling, snow etc.
- Provides meteorological instrumentation and siting recommendations
- Prepare written reports and presentations for both internal and external customers
- Manage permitting requirements for resource measurement equipment, such as applications to Transport Canada, NavCAN and their equivalents in the U.S.
- Manage permitting requirements for Transport Canada and NavCAN for final project layouts, and their equivalents in the U.S.
- Manage and provide version control services for all resource data, layouts and other GIS files.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills, high attention to details, organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Capability to communicate clearly to other specialists and professional who are not from a technology background
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to be self-motivated, a self-starter, professional and trustworthy
- Ability and willingness to travel and work overtime as needed.
- 5 years in resource analysis of renewable energy projects
- Bachelors or master’s degree in atmospheric science, engineering, physics, meteorology, math or equivalent
- Thorough knowledge of:
- Wind flow modelling and expert in using relevant software, such as WindPro;
- Solar resource modelling and expert in using PVSyst;
Applications will be accepted until a qualified pool is received.
How to Apply
Email your application to email@example.com.