CanWEA statement on independent third-party review of existing electricity generation contracts in Ontario
November 7, 2019
Wind energy projects provide sustained revenue for municipal and Indigenous partners, pension plans, farmers and communities
Toronto, Ontario, November 7, 2019 – “The Canadian Wind Energy Association (CanWEA) shares the Ontario Government’s commitment to an affordable and reliable electricity system that benefits all Ontarians.
“Maintaining investor confidence in the Ontario marketplace is important for ensuring the success of the Ontario Government’s “open for business” policy and Ontario’s short- and long-term economic prosperity. Wind energy projects in Ontario have resulted in billions of dollars of Ontario-based investment and job creation. The wind energy industry provides an important source of sustained revenue for municipal and Indigenous equity partners as well as for the pension plans, farmers and community initiatives that wind energy projects contribute to throughout the province.
“Wind energy is the lowest-cost option for new electricity supply in Ontario, across Canada, and throughout much of the world. Ontario will need new electricity generation in the near future. Wind energy offers the best choice for affordable, decentralized and emissions-free electricity.”
– Brandy Giannetta, Regional Director – Ontario, Canadian Wind Energy Association (CanWEA)
- Economic benefits of Ontario’s wind energy industry – Executive Summary
- Wind energy in Ontario – Market Profile
- Wind energy is the lowest cost option for new electricity supply, without subsidies – Lazard 12.0
- Why wind energy is Ontario’s best option for new electricity supply – An Overview
- Wind energy in Canada: A Wind Energy Vision
- Directive by Ontario’s Minister of Energy to the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) calling for an independent third-party review, by February 2020, of existing generation contracts to identify opportunities for savings for consumers.
About the Canadian Wind Energy Association
CanWEA is the voice of Canada’s wind energy industry, actively promoting the responsible and sustainable growth of wind energy. A national non-profit association, CanWEA serves as Canada’s leading source of credible information about wind energy and its social, economic and environmental benefits. Join us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn. Learn more at canwea.ca.
For more information or for interview opportunities, please contact:
Anastasia Smolentseva, Communications Advisor
Canadian Wind Energy Association
613-234-8716 x 241, or 1-800-922-6932 x 241