Evolugen – Vice President, Commercial Development
October 8, 2019
Evolugen, Brookfield Renewable’s Canadian business, is seeking an experienced, dynamic and passionate leader who will help drive our growth and contribution in Canada’s renewable energy transformation and low carbon future. Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Business Development, the Vice President, Commercial Development will lead the origination, development and commercial structuring of projects, portfolios and companies in utility scale and distributed renewable energy technologies including hydro, wind, solar and energy storage. Leveraging our industry leading renewable energy portfolio and expertise, the successful candidate will focus on building a portfolio of development or operational projects to support the growth objectives of Evolugen. This position has oversight and accountability for all stages of commercial development including outreach and origination of investment opportunities; business case development; economic evaluation and risk assessment; negotiation and structuring; and coordination of all financial, technical and commercial aspects to advance and de-risk the project or transaction.
- In coordination with the Senior Vice President, Strategy and Growth, develop and implement the commercial development strategy for the Canadian platform to support the organization’s growth objectives, and align with its investment strategy and goals;
- Maintain strong networks with energy industry representatives and key stakeholders in the area of project development and acquisitions to promote Evolugen as an important project developer and investor in Canada;
- Lead the origination of projects and identify business opportunities that will support the Canadian development and acquisitions strategy;
- Work with the Mergers and Acquisitions team to identify, assess and execute opportunities to acquire companies, operating portfolios and project pipelines for development;
- Lead the screening, prioritization and due diligence of potential project development and acquisition opportunities with a view to maximizing commercial value;
- Articulate clearly and document the business case for project development and acquisition opportunities, providing a solid understanding of overall risks, benefits and returns, in order to gain support for the execution of these projects;
- Lead the negotiation and commercial structuring of all aspects of a project or transaction;
- Leverage Corporate, Technical and Operations resources in development and acquisition activities and to support the financial close of a project or transaction;
- In coordination with the Capital Markets team, lead the economic evaluation and risk assessment of projects and acquisition opportunities and ensure that all commercial conditions are in place to meet underwriting assumptions and secure financing;
- In coordination with the Trading & Marketing team, lead the Origination team to secure long-term Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs) or similar power offtake arrangements for development assets;
- Work with the Technical Services & Construction team to ensure a seamless transition once financial close is achieved to project construction and completion;
- Monitor performance of projects completed (construction and first two operating years) to assess performance against underwriting assumptions.
- Extensive experience in project development and acquisitions with strong commercial background and mindset;
- Well established network of contacts with industry, on the ground developers, government representatives, financial stakeholders and customers in the renewable energy industry;
- Strong business acumen; ability to quickly assess the potential value, risks and returns of a business opportunity and prioritize development and acquisition opportunities accordingly to minimize loss while maximizing project success, profitability, and return on investment;
- Professional and thorough approach to project development and acquisitions, with a strong understanding of technical, financial and commercial drivers;
- Impressive track record and experience in originating, developing, negotiating and structuring bankable renewable energy projects or investment transactions;
- Demonstrated ability to form and drive new market strategies;
- Experience taking utility scale and distributed renewable energy projects from conception to completion;
- Strong team approach; ability to work with different teams in the organization to ensure sound management of project development and acquisition opportunities from the identification process to the integration of new assets in the organization.
- University degree in either Finance, Management or Engineering or in another technical or relevant related discipline; an MBA would be considered an asset;
- A minimum of twelve (12) years of experience in the energy industry, in senior roles within operational, business development and/or project development functions;
- Significant experience and understanding of the North American power markets, specifically as it relates to project development and acquisitions in the renewable sector;
- Significant experience and abilities in leading direct and cross functional teams, in advancing complex projects or transactions from preliminary evaluation to transaction closing.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and to adapt quickly to changing priorities;
- Self-motivated, with a high level of initiative;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
Deadline for applications: November 7, 2019. Please go online to apply for this position.