Evolugen – Director, Origination
October 8, 2019
Evolugen, Brookfield Renewable’s Canadian business, is seeking an experienced, innovative and execution focused renewable deal originator who will held drive our growth contribution in Canada’s renewable energy transformation and low carbon future. Reporting to the Vice President, Commercial Development, the Director, Origination will support Brookfield Renewable’s strategic growth objectives and optimization of the existing renewable portfolio in Canada by leading the long term contracting of new and existing wind, solar and hydro projects, and the development and implementation of innovative customer solutions including utility scale or distributed renewable generation, and demand side management. Leveraging our industry leading renewable energy portfolio and expertise, the Director, Origination will work with the Senior Vice President, Strategy and Growth Initiatives and the Energy Trading team to drive business results leading to investment, market expansion, customer acquisition, and revenue enhancement opportunities. This position requires frequent travel across Canada.
Strategy, origination and proposals
- Develop and execute an outreach and origination plan based on customer segmentation and ongoing market analysis, which is aimed at contracting Evolugen’s new and existing wind, solar and hydro projects, and developing and implementing innovative customer solutions including utility scale or distributed renewable generation, and demand side management;
- Develop strategic approaches, proposals, budgets/pricing, and presentations for use in current and prospective client interactions;
Customer-centric approach, building relationships and tailored customer solutions
- Through a customer-centric approach and close management of customer relationships, including key influencers and decision makers, deliver customer energy solutions including long-term renewable energy contracts, distributed energy resources and demand side management;
- Build a network and manage relationships with potential energy off-takers including regulated utilities, cooperatives, municipal utilities, government agencies, merchant LSEs, commercial and industrial (C&I) customers, and municipal, university, school and hospital (MUSH) customers;
Commercial structuring, negotiating and pitching
- Lead the commercial structuring and negotiation of offtake agreements including Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs) and innovative customer solutions with utility scale and distributed renewable generation, by evaluating and managing key commercial provisions and protecting and / or enhancing revenues, in coordination with the Energy Trading and Legal teams;
- Lead key marketing initiatives and pitch presentations in collaboration with senior leadership to deliver consultative solutions to potential clients, win business and close deals;
Market analysis, market development and regulatory
- Complete market analysis including power market fundamentals overviews, renewable energy supply and demand projections, and competitor economic analysis;
- Monitor ongoing market trends in the electricity and specifically, renewable electricity markets;
- Participate in trade groups, conferences and industry associations to enhance Evolugen’s visibility as a preferred supplier of renewable power and promote future business;
- Collaborate with the Energy Trading team in analyzing and implementing regional trade strategies to maximize Evolugen’s asset value.
- In coordination with the Senior Manager, Regulatory, support the drafting of filings for submission at government and non-government power agencies in support of Evolugen’s proposed market positions.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to establish, sustain and foster professional relationships and consistently build and nurture a broad network of potential customers;
- Demonstrated experience and outstanding ability to originate, structure, negotiate and close PPAs, other offtake arrangements and renewable energy transactions across multiple power markets, customers, and deal structure types;
- Solid commercial mindset to balance customer and business needs to develop innovative customer solutions including long-term PPAs and other offtake arrangements; utility scale or distributed generation proposals; and demand side management initiatives;
- A collaborative leader and team player that works well across an organization and builds performance alliances through ongoing coaching and development;
- Demonstrated ability to think and act with strategic and tactical agility to develop a global marketing plan to support the overall commercial objectives of the organization;
- A sense of urgency, and a roll-up-your-sleeves, hands-on approach;
- Must exhibit a high level of integrity and thrive on the challenges of a fast-growing, rapidly-evolving, and complex market.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Engineering or an equivalent field; an MBA would be an asset;
- Minimum of eight (8) years of relevant industry experience in commercial outreach, origination, commercial structuring and business development;
- Experience in the power sector, specifically renewables, and strong understanding of the energy markets, with proven experience leading the design, development and implementation of commercial strategies in the North American market;
- Strong professional network and an actionable rolodex of decision-makers with potential offtakers including regulated utilities, cooperatives, municipal utilities, government agencies, merchant LSEs, C&I and MUSH customers;
- Strong passion and experience in renewable energy development;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and successfully;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including effective presentation skills and the ability to address customer requirements and concerns.
Deadline for applications: November 7, 2019. Please go online to apply for this position.