DNV GL – Team Leader – Energy Assessment (Montreal, QC)
August 14, 2019
Local Unit & Position Description
GL Garrad Hassan Canada Inc., and affiliate of DNV GL, is looking for a Team Leader to manage a team of Energy Analysts within the DNV GL North America Energy Group. GL Garrad Hassan Canada Inc. business office is located at 70 Richmond St. E Suite 315 Toronto, ON M5C 1N8. This position work site is located in Montreal (4100 Rue Molson Suite 100, Montreal, ON H1Y 3N1)
- The primary function of the Team Leader position is to manage a team of Energy Analysts within the DNV GL North America Energy Group. The Team Leader is responsible for coordinating the proposal, completion, delivery and ongoing support of the work produced by the Team Leader’s team. The Team Leader’s role is primarily commercial and client facing, in which the Team Leader acts as the direct contact point for clients under the responsibility of the Team Leader’s team. The Team Leader participates in R&D projects and assists in planning the growth of the team. The Team Leader is also responsible for staff development and performance reviews for the Energy Analysts composing the Team Leader’s team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned.
Operations and Project Delivery (75% of working hours)
- Coordinate team of Energy Analysts to deliver projects within allocated time and budget;
- Assessing the wind resource and expected energy output of proposed utility-scale wind farms using DNV GL’s proprietary methodologies and techniques;
- Conducting long-term wind resource and energy production assessments;
- Analyzing wind and other climatic data, inspecting sites and measurement equipment;
- Performing wind flow modeling using DNV GL’s proprietary software platforms; and
- Assessing site conditions for turbine suitability.
- Set project milestones for Energy Analysts to follow and ensure milestones are met;
- Assist staff in determining appropriate methodology and solutions for;
- Long-term energy production assessments,
- Site conditions assessments,
- Preliminary and high-level energy production estimates,
- Other assessments conducted by staff;
- Perform technical checking and initial approval of all work product conducted by staff;
- Present checked and initially approved deliverables to Energy Group Head of Section;
- Ensure an appropriate distribution of work load on staff;
- Prepare or coordinate standard proposals and bids;
- Support the preparation of special proposals and bids;
- Serve as primary client contact;
Business growth and R&D (10%)
- Support the Energy Group Head of Section in pro-actively planning staff growth;
- Participate in and coordinate R&D projects;
Staff development and performance review (15%)
- Oversee and implement the career development of staff;
- Set coordination meetings and communications with the team;
- Participate in setting objectives for staff and support Senior Team Leader or Head of Section in staff performance reviews.
Energy Group Team Leaders are expected to have a group of 3 to 5 direct reports. In addition to the duties listed above, a Team Leader is expected to approve time sheets, vacation requests, and otherwise manage the time of their direct reports.
- Advanced knowledge of the wind energy production assessment methodology;
- General understanding of the North American wind energy market;
- Comprehensive understanding of wind flow principles;
- Proficiency in the statistical analysis of data;
- Proficiency with WindFarmer and WAsP;
- Proficiency with MS Office Word/Excel/Access;
- Strong overall computer skills and ability to learn multiple software tools;
- Comprehensive understanding of wind energy industry measurement techniques and standards;
- Thorough knowledge of various mapping tools and map formats.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to supervise and motivate colleagues;
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time;
- Ability to write technical reports and commercial correspondence;
- Ability to present technical information clearly and concisely
- Proven HSE mindset
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant engineering, atmospheric science, or scientific field; (advanced degree preferred)
- 2+ years’ experience in managing technical teams, (additional education can be considered in lieu of experience);
- 5+ years’ experience in wind energy consulting, (additional education can be considered in lieu of experience);
- 5+ years’ experience conducting bankable long-term wind energy production assessments, inclusive of all of the following activities, (additional education can be considered in lieu of experience):
- Analyzing wind and other climatic data;
- Extensive quality checking wind data,
- Evaluating vertical shear using multiple industry standard methods,
- Correlating wind data to other locations on-site and off-site using various binning criteria and,
- Deriving long-term wind speed and direction frequency distribution.
- Inspecting sites and measurement equipment;
- Performing wind flow modeling using WAsP, CFD, and conceptual model techniques;
- Reviewing turbine site suitability;
- Predicting wind farm energy production;
- Calculating gross energy output at individual turbine locations using WindFarmer,
- Calculating wake losses using WindFarmer,
- Estimating energy loss factors and net annual wind farm energy production,
- Conducting statistical uncertainty analyses;
- Writing technical reports suitable for project financing and communicating results to clients.
This position is working 40 hrs a week with a salary range of CAD 82,000-90,500 annually. Eligible employees will receive benefits in the following areas: Medical, Dental, Vision, Prescription Insurance, Basic Life Insurance, Optional Life, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Global Medical Assistance and Short and Long Term Disability. Other benefits include: RRSP / NRSP, Education Assistance Program, BenefitHub and Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP).”
Deadline for applications: November 12, 2019. Please go online to apply for this position.
Company & Business Area Description
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business.
We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight.
With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL delivers world-renowned testing and advisory services to the energy value chain including renewables and energy efficiency. Our expertise spans onshore and offshore wind power, solar, conventional generation, transmission and distribution, smart grids, and sustainable energy use, as well as energy markets and regulations. Our experts support customers around the globe in delivering a safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable energy supply.
Equal Opportunity Statement
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to gender, religion, race, national or ethnic origin, cultural background, social group, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age or political opinion. Diversity is fundamental to our culture and we invite you to be part of this diversity!