DNV GL – Senior Civil/Structural Engineer (Wind and Solar) (Montreal, QC)
June 7, 2019
Local Unit & Position Description
DNV GL – Energy’s Renewables Advisory group is seeking a Senior Civil Structural Engineer to join our civil engineering team. The Senior Civil Structural Engineer will act as a key member of the global civil engineering team, engaged in analysis, design review, construction observation, and analysis of structural failures of wind and solar energy systems. The engineer in this position will have a highly visible role and be involved in several solar energy projects worldwide. This position is based out of our Montreal, Quebec office.
Why you should work for us?
Because within the DNV GL Energy – Renewables Advisory service line, organizational culture, and more specifically how we collective influence the world for future generations matters. Our team aims at facilitating the widespread deployment and operation of renewables to address climate change and positively impact society, achieve our purpose through the success of our customers and strive to be high-performing and innovative, which reflects the equity, respect, and diversity we wish to see in the world. Join us and be a game changer.
Tasks May Include
- Review of design drawings and calculations for Wind and Solar Energy foundations structural support systems, to support project financing
- Evaluation of pre-market design concepts for Wind and Solar Energy structural support systems
- Evaluation and root cause analyses of Wind and Solar Energy system structural failures
- Observation and documentation of Wind and Solar Energy construction
- Master of Science – Civil or Structural Engineering. Ph.D. – Structural Engineering preferred
- Minimum 5 years of experience in structural engineering design required
- 2 years of design of electrical transmission, wind or solar energy structural systems preferred
- P.E. or P.Eng. License in at least one US or Canada jurisdiction preferred or willingness and ability to obtain it within one year.
- Structural Engineer (S.E.) License (NCEES SE Exam compliant) desired
- Proficiency in IBC, ASCE 7, AISC, ACI, NBCC, EuroCode and other common structural design codes
- Proficiency in SAP, STAAD, and other common structural analysis programs.
- Detailed understanding of fatigue in reinforced concrete subject to high cycle demand (Eurocode, CEB FIP MC 2010, DNV OS C502)
- Prior research or design experience with reinforced concrete wind turbine foundations. Understanding of foundation systems for utility scale onshore wind turbines is a plus
- Prior research or design experience with wind-induced dynamic loading of Solar PV structural support systems preferred
- Understanding of common Solar PV foundation systems and geotechnical aspects of design
- Understanding of typical construction methods for Wind and Solar Energy
- Proven HSE mindset and demonstrated behavior-based safety mentality
- Able to work independently and make independent decisions when called for
- Able to work with a geographically diverse team, within North America and internationally
- Maintain a flexible schedule and be able to keep in contact with international offices.
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 25% of the time domestic travel (US and Canada), and must also be able to travel internationally
- Must be able to use common construction personal protective equipment, walk over uneven terrain, climb ladders
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills. Second language preferred
- We conduct pre-employment screening
Interested applicants can submit their resume and cover Letter to DNV GL online job forum.
Opportunities Beyond Business
Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work towards our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV GL offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package. DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. Local employment conditions apply. Please visit our website at www.dnvgl.com
Company & Business Area Description
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business.
We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight.
With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL delivers world-renowned testing and advisory services to the energy value chain including renewables and energy efficiency. Our expertise spans onshore and offshore wind power, solar, conventional generation, transmission and distribution, smart grids, and sustainable energy use, as well as energy markets and regulations. Our experts support customers around the globe in delivering a safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable energy supply.