DNV-GL – Project Manager – Wind Independent Engineering (Montreal/Toronto)
March 28, 2019
Local Unit & Position Description
DNV GL – Energy is seeking a Project Manager to join our Wind Independent Engineering (IE) team. DNV GL is the world’s leading renewable energy consultant, and since the early 1980’s DNV GL’s Wind IE team has held a dominant market position for independent engineering services to support financing and construction of wind energy projects in North America. In this role, our team provides technical consulting and independent engineering services for wind project developers, financial institutions, and investors who rely upon our reports as part of their investment decision making process. The Project Manager will be responsible for organizing the technical due diligence review process to support the finance and construction of wind projects in North America; communicating and resolving technical issues with clients and lenders/investors; and travelling to project sites in all parts of the country to perform ongoing site inspections related to construction progress on infrastructure and wind equipment installation, including inspection of wind turbines up-tower. This position is based out of our Montreal or Toronto offices.
Why you should work for us?
Because within the DNV GL Energy – Renewables Advisory group, organizational culture, and more specifically how we collective influence the world for future generations, matters. Our team aims at facilitating the widespread deployment and operation of renewables to address climate change and positively impact society, achieve our purpose through the success of our customers and strive to be high-performing and innovative, which reflects the equity, respect, and diversity we wish to see in the world. Join us and be a game changer.
Tasks May Include
- Prioritizing QHSE considerations within the team to ensure safe execution and healthy work environment
- Initiating and coordinating the technical review process among internal specialists (including civil and electrical engineering, energy assessment, turbine technology, permitting, etc)
- Performing portions of the due diligence reviews, including contract and financial model (OPEX and CAPEX) reviews
- Coordinating input from technical specialists and writing of the due diligence reports
- Discussing and resolving technical issues with project developers and lenders/investors, including coordinating input on such issues from internal technical specialists as necessary
- Developing and winning proposals for scopes of services related to due diligence work
- Coordinating construction monitoring by DNV GL, including performing site inspections
- Supporting customers through the financial closings of projects
Note: Please submit a cover letter with your resume that details your specific knowledge in the area of the wind industry as well as your strengths relative to the other requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business, or related energy field; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working in engineering/construction/project management, plus 1 year of experience in the wind industry; or 2 years’ experience performing technical or financial reviews within the wind industry
- Familiarity with energy industry technology (turbines, balance of plant, etc) and contracts (construction, supply, operations, interconnection, offtake, and/or asset management contracts); understanding of budgets and financial models
- Project management and time management skills, including an ability to balance multiple projects under tight deadlines and to establish and maintain good relations with clients
- Some concentration of experience in at least one of the following: wind industry construction and operating contracts, wind project construction, operations/asset management, wind project design/development, turbine technology, or power marketing/offtake contracting preferred
- Willingness and ability to travel, up to 20% of the time
- Able to sit for long periods of time, when working in office; but also climb wind turbines with appropriate gear (approximately 100 meters up a vertical ladder in all climate conditions) and walk over rough or slippery terrain as experienced on heavy construction sites
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills, including ability to write clear and detailed technical reports, presentations, and emails, and to clearly communicate complex technical issues to a non-technical audience.
- Solution-oriented thinking skills – identifying technical risks and formulating solutions or work-arounds that allow development and financing/investment to proceed
- Displaying high integrity and honesty – clients rely on DNV GL’s independence and its responsibility to perform a rigorous but fair review of a project
- Fluent in MS Office products
- We conduct pre-employment background screening
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter and resume and apply online.
Opportunities Beyond Business
Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work towards our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV GL offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package.
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.