Canadian Wind Energy Association (CanWEA) – Manager of Events (Ottawa, ON)
March 13, 2019
Manager of Events – 20 month contract
Who we are:
CanWEA, the Canadian Wind Energy Association, is the voice of Canada’s wind energy industry, actively promoting the responsible and sustainable growth of wind energy. A national non-profit association, CanWEA is Canada’s leading source of information on wind energy’s social, economic, health and environmental benefits for Canadian communities and provincial economies. Established in 1984, CanWEA represents the wind energy community — organizations and individuals who are directly involved in the development and application of wind energy technology, products and services.
Who we are looking for:
CanWEA has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated, creative and enthusiastic individual to join our dynamic team as our Manager of Events. The Manager of Events is responsible for the strategic development, management and successful execution of CanWEA events taking place across the country throughout the year. Events include but are not limited to CanWEA Connections Networking Receptions, 2 Annual Golf Tournaments, Spring Forum and Operations and Maintenance Summit. The Event Manager is also responsible for CanWEA’s Annual conference programming. Activities in this area include, but are not limited to program development, speaker line-up, onsite logistics and execution. Must be self-motivated with the ability to multi-task and perform with minimal supervision and should have sound judgment. The candidate must be detail-oriented, highly organized and comfortable with technology.
This role is located in Ottawa and reports to the CanWEA President.
All interested candidates please e-mail your CV and a one-page cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note our application deadline is March 27th, 2019.
- Create and manage the approved budget
associated with any confirmed CanWEA event:
- Establish contracts for pricing and services; and
- Report on budget and expenses associated with all events and recommend corrective actions to be taken to achieve financial targets.
- Develop and manage the overall expenditure for each event;
- Recommend fee structure for participants;
- Negotiate and ensure due diligence for contracts to ensure CanWEA is leveraging best pricing.
- Develop work plan for each event including timeline for program development, marketing plan, and event logistics;
- Collaborate with Director of Membership and Business Development to produce sponsorship brochure and associated benefits for each event;
- Research available venue and pricing, as well as event suppliers.
- Coordinate event planning sessions with identified members to identify event topics and potential event speakers;
- Creation and management of online abstract submission and review system;
- Extend speaker invitations and act as primary point of contact for confirmed event speakers;
- Coordinate and facilitate conference calls with all speakers and moderators prior to the event;
- Provide pre-event and on-site assistance to moderators and speakers with respect to their presentations.
- Marketing Materials & Printed Collateral:
- Coordinate online program and hard copy materials content required for the event (website, program, mobile app and other external communications);
- Collaborate with the Marketing Team to develop timelines for production of promotional and marketing material for all events;
- Manage delivery of event material in a variety of formats.
- Collaborate with the chosen facility to make necessary arrangements for all resources (participant hotel rooms, banquet hall, food, etc.);
- Negotiate and ensure due diligence for contracts with suppliers to ensure CanWEA is leveraging best pricing;
- Report on budget and expenses associated with all events and recommend corrective actions to be taken to achieve financial targets;
- Manage fulfillment of sponsorship benefits;
- Develop signage plan and work with suppliers to create and produce required event signage;
- Registration management:
- Develop and manage an outsourcing plan for onsite services;
- Manage full on-site logistics for events.
- Develop and deliver a participant survey after
each major event:
- Analysis of results and recommendations for actions to address areas of development.
- Debrief with stakeholders and suppliers on the event to determine what went well and what could be improved for future events;
- Produce a post event report following each major event.
What you will need to be successful:
- 5+ years’ experience in national events planning;
- Strong knowledge of software systems including Excel, PowerPoint, Word, MS Project (or equivalent);
- Thorough knowledge of the Request for Proposal process and costing/procurement procedures;
- Experience with event participation with international attendees;
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to collaborate across the organization and effectively run concurrent tasks; and
- Ability to delegate.
Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Acrobat);
- Ability to learn and comfortably work with new and evolving technology;
- Advanced communications skills;
- Attention todetail;
- Good judgment;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision; work effectively and efficiently under pressure; organize and set priorities;
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and work flexibly within the parameters of the project;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage projects;
- Works well in a team environment;
- Available to work weekends, evenings and travel when required.
- Post–‐secondary education that includes an accredited Event Management Program (or courses) business management (including finance reporting) project management; and
- CMP designation would be an asset.
- Proficiency in English (written and spoken) is required;
- Proficiency in French (written and spoken) would be an asset.
- This role requires limited travel (10% of time); travel consists of national travel within Canada.