Site Electrical Engineer – Wind/SubStation
GDF SUEZ – Cape Scott Wind LP
Job Title: Site Electrical Engineer – Wind/SubStation
Purpose: Responsible for functions relating to windpower site facility betterment, engineering, project coordination and maintenance and repair of wind turbine generators, substations and balance of plant equipment, facility efficiency monitoring and plant performance measurements.
Reports to: Site Manager
Location: Cape Scott Wind Farm, Port Hardy, BC, Canada
- Participate and support site safety and environmental management systems; assure safety and environmental considerations are included in engineering products.
- Manage sites’ engineering documents and design information to be accurate and of high quality.
- Use technical information, such as design information, operating experience and fundamental engineering principles, to resolve equipment performance problems and technical issues and to provide input to operational decisions.
- Monitor and evaluate equipment and system performance by examining and trending the results of condition-monitoring activities, reviewing equipment failures, analyzing availability/reliability information, and performing system walk downs. Follow-up actions, based on identified problems, trends, and root cause determinations, are timely and effective.
- Provide technical guidance support of site operations and maintenance procedures.
- Manage subcontractors during site maintenance and outages as required.
- Evaluate and develop site improvement projects. Provide economic justification, develop RFQ,s, evaluate bids and contract T&C’s and award PO’s, manage contractors, QA/QC monitoring, field change requests and develop budgets and manage cost control responsibilities for projects.
- Develop and present training as required to plant personnel.
- Present engineering analysis, plans and recommendations to site staff, management and directors.
- Available to serve as relief for Site Manager
- Ability to travel for short term assignments as required.
- Acts as a team member with all employees at the Cape Scott Wind Farm.
- Comply with all GDF Suez Energy Generation North America policies and procedures.
- Work multiple projects including supporting future development projects
- Desired working knowledge of power generation equipment, substations, DVAR (voltage support) and SCADA control systems; equivalent experience in manufacturing, chemical, mining or other industrial experience.
- Good planning, scheduling and project management skills with the ability to plan and work independently.
- Good computer and analytical skills.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills to manage and supervise people
- Performs other duties as directed by the Site Manager.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Essential Physical Abilities
- Ability to perform demanding work at heights under adverse conditions and when participating in emergency activities.
- Ability to climb ladders and work in heights > 250 feet; enter confined spaces as required to complete assigned task.
- Enter and work in a confined space.
- Lift 50 lbs. of weight
- Eyesight corrected to 20/40 to accurately read and interpret instruments and gauges.
- Pass a respirator physical and respirator fit test.
- Hear and understand audible alarms, detect changes in noise levels of rotating equipment and portable radio communication.
- Ability to meet highest attendance requirements.
BS degree in Electrical Engineering, P.Eng or E.I.T registration in British Columbia, minimum (5) years utility or industrial plant experience or equivalent.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Please visit www.gdfsuezna.com for more information on the company
Email cover letter and resume to: email@example.com