QHSE Coordinator – Montreal
April 4, 2017
Brief Team and Position Summary
DNV GL Energy Advisory Americas (EAA) is seeking a Quality, Health, Safety and Environment (QHSE) Coordinator to promote a cultural environment of shared responsibility that values the health and wellness of all employees; and serve as technical advisor in an efficient, effective, and customer focused manner while maintaining, administrating, and improving DNV GL Management Systems (DMS) which combines Quality, Health & Safety and Environmental aspects, as well as acting as the first liaison point for information requests in the EAA region to ensure compliance with company and market standards. The QHSE Coordinator reports directly to the EAA Regional Human Resources Manager. This position will be specifically responsible for managing the company efforts to maintain ISO certifications 9 001, 14 001 and OHSAS 18 001. Other duties will include providing relevant employees trainings, undertaking on and off site inspections, conducting internal/external audits as required and handling the reporting of regional QHSE performance.
Tasks May Include
- Support Regional management during the development of annual operating and tactical plans, planning of management system reviews and the development of QHSE related KPIs and goals;
- Liaise with the Energy Business area QHSE Manager on common QHSE issues and improvement opportunities;
- Liaise with Country HSE coordinator to provide regional/ specific input as agreed in the HSE Service Level Agreement and support implementation of Group Global/Country-wide initiatives;
- Develop the QHSE audit program that supports a suitable level of QHSE governance for the region;
- Elaborate and implement appropriate communication strategy to ensure buy-in and compliance from all staff and sub-contractors;
- Prepare inputs/communication plans related to the Management System in the region.
- Promote the use of the internal management system and ensure technical, procedural and policy documentation of DMS is up to date and in line with applicable regulation in Americas (Canada, USA, Latin America);
- Promote the use of DNV GL’s tool for follow-up of QHSE events, i.e. through the Quality Event Tracker (QET) and Synergi Life internal systems;
- Provide QHSE knowledge and/or skills-based trainings to operational managers and staff on an as needed basis to facilitate consistent application of standards and spread best practices;
- Coordinate monthly regional QHSE committee meeting;
- Assist and/or perform internal/external EAA regional audits as required, in alignment with DNV GL – Energy’s audit program and ensure successful outcomes of audits performed;
- Ensure adequate handling of findings from external and internal QHSE audits by carrying out an in-depth investigation of reported incidents and accidents (’’Root Cause Analysis’’);
- Coordinate responses and follow-ups on corrective and recommended preventive actions from audits performed to ensure proper deployment/implementation in the EAA Region;
- Assist field work employees in completing the Job Safety Environmental Assessment (JSEA) for site visits, including applying any applicable travel safety protocols and related mitigation measures for restricted travel areas;
- Perform site safety audits, as required;
- Participate in, and review risk assessments for higher risk activities as required;
- Anticipate possible operational risks or opportunities and work with management to ensure an appropriate and effective response;
- Maintain and administer the regional HSE training matrix;
- Coordinate the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) program for field work personnel;
- Maintain the Emergency Preparedness program for EAA locations;
- Support local appointed quality managers for the maintenance of Berkeley, Rochester and Seattle offices accreditations.
- Foster a quality and safety culture that supports the prevention of safety incidents and quality events by leading the Leadership team in championing QHSE activities and work processes
- Engage the workforce on QHSE issues and concerns, to promote a work environment where employees identify, communicate and address quality issues and unsafe acts, conditions and events.
- Train employees in identifying gaps in current efforts/thinking and action required to best overcome deficits.
- Support the EAA Region with the establishment of QHSE performance reports;
- Monitor, report and follow-up on the regional QHSE KPIs;
- Manage subcontractors’ safety database;
- Monitor, report and follow-up on QHSE performance for production-related activities, in particular registration and handling of events through the relevant tools (e.g. reviews injury/illness and non-injury incident investigation reports);
- Monitor close out of MS reviews and audits within prescribed timescales.
- Ability to carry out detailed, thorough and systematic analysis;
- Skilled in questioning and investigating to identify root causes;
- Strong communication skills including, good listening, influencing and persuasive skills and ability to build effective working relationships with people at all levels;
- Sound technical knowledge of the QHSE aspects;
- Ability to carry out QHSE Audits; and
- Ability to look ahead and see potential issues and opportunities.
- Proven QHSE mindset and demonstrated behavior-based safety mentality
- Excellent command of Microsoft Office Suite;
- Ability to manage multiple initiatives/projects at a time;
- Ability to write technical reports and commercial correspondence in English; (
- Fluency in French is preferred but is not required.
- Ability to present information clearly and concisely.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor degree required (engineering, industrial hygiene, safety science or related discipline);
- Minimum 5 years of hands-on experience in the field of quality, occupational health, safety and environmental management (QHSE), including experience in implementing, monitoring and the administration of a successful QHSE program.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Certification in either, ISO 9001, OHSAS 18001, ISO 14001 or equivalent is preferred;
- Internal Auditor certification preferred;
- Required valid driver license; and
- Required valid documentation to allow international travel.
- This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Require the willingness and availability to travel occasionally (for a period of a few days to a week at a time) up to 10% annually, usually within North America, but may include an international trip from time to time.
- We conduct a pre-employment background check.
Opportunities Beyond Business
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work toward our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV GL offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package.
To apply for this position, please click here.