May 14, 2014
Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, DNV GL enables organisations to advance the safety and sustainability of their business. We provide classification and technical assurance along with software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas and energy industries. We also provide certification services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining leading technical and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, DNV GL empowers our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight.
Originated in 1864, DNV GL operates globally in more than 100 countries with our 16,000 professionals dedicated to helping our customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL is the leading technical advisor to the global oil and gas industry. We enable safe, reliable and enhanced performance in projects and operations.
We provide consistent, integrated services within technical and marine assurance and advisory, risk management advisory and offshore classification.
Together with our partners, we drive the industry forwards by developing best practices and standards.
Our people combine industry expertise, multi-disciplinary skills and innovation to solve complex challenges for our customers.
This position is based in DNV GL Montreal (QC) Office.
DNV GL is actively looking to recruit a GIS Analyst who will be responsible for undertaking multi-criteria spatial analysis and producing thematic maps in the GIS service line that is part of DNV GL North America Environmental and Permitting Services Department. DNV GL is looking for a dynamic and rigorous individual that will be able to contribute to the company’s studies and reports through well thought-out mapping products, as well as to assist with gathering environmental data.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Research, inventory, analyse and integrate GIS data;
- Undertake multi-criteria spatial analysis;
- Produce thematic maps;
- Assist with renewable energy project site selection and characterisation studies;
- Prepare elevation and roughness maps for wind resource assessments;
- Assist with the development of new geospatial tools in platforms including Google Earth;
- Occasional assistance with research and reporting for environmental mandates, such as environmental impact studies and site evaluation studies; and
- Occasional site visits.
- Knowledge of basic GIS concepts (mapping, GPS, GIS, data integration, coordinate systems, etc.);
- Thorough knowledge of ArcGIS software and web mapping applications; and
- Competency in programming (Python language is preferred).
- Attention to detail;
- Excellent written and spoken English and French;
- Ability to work in a team-based environment;
- Excellent communication skills; and
- Passion for renewable energy project development.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- A four-year university degree in Geomatics Engineering, Geomatics Sciences, Geographic information systems or Environmental geomatics is preferred.
- At least 1 to 2 years GIS work experience (preferred)
KEY INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL CONTACTS
This role will provide support for project managers and task leads in all areas of DNV GL North America. The majority of communication will be internal, daily communication with other GIS Team members in Ottawa and direct line manager and senior technical team members in Montreal.
- Annual salaried employee position. The individual who will fulfil this role will be employed on a full-time basis during normal business hours. Lunch breaks are not paid.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to sit for long periods of time; the majority of the work for this position will be at a desk.
- Working in an indoor, environmentally controlled environment
- The ability to occasionally lift 20 lbs.
- Repetitive tasks, typing, sitting and interacting with computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) most of the day.
- Requires the willingness and availability to travel up to 5% of time for periods of a few days at a time (occasional site visits).
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, and working conditions. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of those principal job elements essential for making fair pay decisions about the job.
DNV GL is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in the work place.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/pmvvxy2