Environmental Specialist – Wind Operations
April 14, 2014
As a member of the Wind Operations, Environment, Health and Safety team, you will be responsible for participating as part of a team completing aspects of environmental management and compliance practices as they relate specifically to TransAlta’s wind assets across Canada. This position will assist and support in the development, implementation and maintenance of a comprehensive Environment, Health and Safety program and will be instrumental in promoting a positive EHS culture. The Environmental Specialist we are looking for will enjoy the challenge of working on multiple projects on a fast-paced schedule, collaborating with other TransAlta groups to assess sites across the country, performing field work as well as providing oversight on a number of environmental initiatives.
- Monitor local and regional environmental initiatives relating to regulation and changes to regulatory requirements for new and existing wind assets.
- Assist in assuring and sustaining compliance with all regulatory requirements associated with site environmental permits/approvals.
- Provide regulatory assessment and due diligence reviews of proposed mergers, acquisitions or greenfield developments in relation to environmental/permitting aspects for projects across North America.
- Support the implementation and provide oversight of environmental management plans and other EHS programs fleet wide.
- Provide environmental management standards and champion suggestions for continuous improvement in partnership with other groups to develop, implement and sustain compliance with regulations, policies, standards, guidelines, processes and best practices as they relate to environmental aspects.
- Conduct and/or manage field research programs for biophysical baseline studies for birds, bats, wildlife, ecosystems, soils, and vegetation including analysis of results and production of technical reports.
- Conduct and assist operations in incident response and assist in recommendation and implementation of corrective actions and development of mitigation strategies.
- Complete monthly analysis and reporting requirements, analyzing performance and trends.
- Represent TransAlta in various stakeholder working groups on regulatory or operations issues and selected environmental initiatives driven by government or industry associations.
- Support Wind Operations health and safety initiatives as required.
- Responsible for multiple locations, must be willing to travel for work purposes as required.
- Minimum Bachelor of Science in Biology, or equivalent, with 5-7 years environmental consulting/assessment experience.
- Eligibility for Professional Biologist designation in Alberta or Registered Professional Biologist in another jurisdiction.
- Knowledge of multi-provincial and federal government regulatory requirements related to wind development.
- Experience in developing and conducting field programs as well as analyzing and presenting results of field studies and monitoring programs to regulators, environmental groups and stakeholders.
- A strong understanding of management systems, specifically ISO 9001, 14001 or OHSAS standards.
- Must be organized, and have the ability to manage and prioritize several projects at once.
- Strong technical, communication, and organization skills.
- French language skills would be a definite asset.
Willingness to travel to work sites in locations across Canada. Travel may comprise up to 10% of your time.