Acoustic Engineer – Canada
April 3, 2017
Local Unit & Position Description
DNV GL – Energy Advisory’s Development and Engineering Services group is seeking an Acoustic Engineer to provide acoustic engineering services (acoustic modelling and environmental acoustical measurements) across the North American Region. This position is based in Toronto, Ontario or Montreal, Quebec.
Tasks may include
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned.
- Providing acoustic engineering services (acoustic modelling and environmental acoustical measurements) across North America for wind power projects, solar power projects, power transformers, and energy storage facilities, with the possibility of eventually leading the team and acoustic services for North America
- Ensuring industry leading knowledge in the field of acoustics and ensuring that DNV GL methodologies and expertise are leading the industry.
- Acting as acoustic expert at siting committees, environmental review tribunals, litigation proceedings, and open houses.
- Participating in industry acoustic committees.
- Identifying and developing business opportunities and leading meetings with clients.
- Ensuring the quality of the acoustic deliverables and timely delivery of results and reports.
- Developing measurement protocols and undertaking sound modelling and measurement assessments, in line with local regulations in jurisdictions across North America.
- Managing the delivery of services for clients, including kick-off meetings and regular communication with the client, and coordinating the delivery of work products with internal engineers and technicians.
- Training team members in noise modelling and noise measurements.
- Approving noise modelling performed by engineers, performing quality control, and, when necessary, undertaking noise modelling.
- Writing and approving technical reports.
- Preparing proposals for services related to acoustic modelling and measurements.
- Undertaking due diligence reviews of acoustic reports prepared by other engineering firms.
- Mentoring other engineers and performing quality control.
Position Qualifications, What we’re asking
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BS in engineering or other relevant degree, with advanced degrees an asset;
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in acoustic engineering services;
- Experience in conducting acoustic compliance measurements of wind power projects.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform the job.
- Strong knowledge of physical acoustics;
- Strong knowledge of environmental acoustic measurements at wind farms, including measurement equipment and software for data analysis;
- Knowledge of noise modelling software such as CadnaA or equivalent.
- Demonstrated skills in project management;
- Demonstrated ability to develop business opportunities;
- Leadership abilities;
- Knowledge of local permitting and noise regulations in North America;
- Good understanding of the wind power industry;
- Broad understanding of the project development process and siting approval process.
The characteristics listed below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform this job
- Able to establish and maintain good relations with clients.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent analytical and reporting abilities.
- Capable of travelling to projects in development, construction and operation sites in varying locations (expected to be about 5-20% annual time).
- Fluent in MS Office products.
- Must be Fluent in English both written and verbal.
- Displaying high integrity and honesty – Clients rely on DNV GL’s independence and its responsibility to perform a rigorous but fair review of a project
- Building relationships – The ability to gain and maintain the trust of developers and banks is critical to our success
- Powerful communication – The ability to take highly technical issues and communicate them in a manner that can be understood by non-technical clients
- Applying thinking skills – Identifying technical risks and formulating solutions or work-arounds that allow development and financing/investment to proceed
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
None required; P.E. or P.Eng. licenses preferred. INCE certification an advantage.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to sit for long periods of time; when working in office.
- Repetitive tasks, typing, sitting and interacting with computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) most of the day.
- Working in an indoor, environmentally controlled environment when in office.
- Walk over rough or slippery terrain as experienced on heavy construction sites;
- Work in inclement weather conditions on occasion.
- Requires the willingness and availability to travel up to 5-20% of time for periods of a week or more at a time.
- We conduct a pre-employment background check.
To apply for this position, please click here.