BluEarth Renewables is a private company focused on commercial-scale renewable energy development. As an independent renewable power producer, our goal is to build, own, and operate sustainable wind, water, and solar generation projects across North America. Our goals in the next five to seven years are: to acquire and build $1 billion of projects on-time and on-budget; and have projects in our pipeline for future growth that, when built, will have a total capital cost of $1 billion. We have approximately $170 million of founding capital committed by our management team, ARC Financial, Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, and friends & family.
Our foundational values are:
Our organizational values are:
- Reports directly to the Vice President, Technology & Engineering.
- Working closely with BluEarth’s functional groups including Project Development, Regulatory, Business Development and Operations.
- As the position continues to evolve, and BluEarth advances its growth plan, modification to the accountabilities, key functions, and geographies set out below is likely.
Accountabilities and Key Functions
The Lead, Engineering is accountable to provide engineering support for projects in all stages of life cycle including acquisition, development and operation. The position will have a strong focus on electrical engineering as related to renewable energy projects along with interconnection of projects to the associate electrical grid. Projects will vary in technology (wind, water, solar), size, scope, schedule, and geography.
Key functions include but are not limited to:
- Preparation and submission of interconnection applications for plant connection to the area electrical grid.
- Working with ISO’s and TFO’s on safe and compliant operation of facilities.
- Assisting operations with development and ongoing execution of NERC compliance standards.
- Developing specifications for procurement of major equipment.
- Preparation of detailed technical reports.
- Developing and executing equipment purchase orders.
- Providing engineering support for due diligence activities.
- Developing preliminary electrical designs for new projects from concept through to issuance of drawings.
- Drafting of drawings using Autocad software.
- Conducting load flow studies using SKM electrical modeling software.
- Preparing balance of plant cost estimates for development projects.
- Conduct on-site engineering reviews of construction projects.
- Assist the project development team with managing EPC and contractor activities.
- Conducting technical reviews of significant contracts including interconnection agreements, TSA’s, and PSA’s.
- Developing and implementing generator performance test programs to validate vendor performance guarantees.
- Assisting with start-up and commissioning of new facilities.
- Managing external consultants to deliver cost effective, timely, accurate results.
- Designing and implementing plant data communications including SCADA, internet and voice.
- Providing IT support for operations computers and networks.
- Working with operations staff to ensure safe and reliable operation of facilities with a focus on electrical systems and grid interconnection.
- Upholding all aspects of BluEarth’s Environmental, Health & Safety policies, practices, and programs to ensure that projects are designed, developed, and approved in order to avoid occupational health & safety hazards and minimizing environmental risks at BluEarth’s operations.
- Upholding BluEarth’s values.
Calgary Alberta, with occasional travel directly to project sites and travel as necessary to support project development, acquisition and operations activities across Canada.
- Degree in engineering with electrical engineering being strongly preferred. Consideration will be given to engineers of other disciplines that possess tangible and proven experience and skills. Candidate must hold a registration as a Professional Engineer in a province of Canada and be eligible for registration across Canada as may be required.
Experience and Skills
- Minimum 5 years engineering experience in the renewable energy industry.
- Proficient with high voltage electrical systems including substations, collector systems and power houses.
- Familiar with all types of renewable generation technologies including wind, hydro and solar PV.
- Demonstrated experience with Autocad and SKM software.
- Significant and successful experience working with ISO’s and TFO’s.
- Experience on all associated engineering activities through all phases of project development, including permitting, construction, and operations.
- Ability to plan, schedule, track, and monitor ongoing engineering tasks and activities. Proven ability to both formulate and execute strategies.
- Ability to multitask and provide project support to multiple concurrent projects.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Highly flexible and able to quickly adapt to changing priorities.
- Strong communications skills, both oral and written.
Personal Attributes and Characteristics
- Strong work ethic and high integrity.
- Detailed thinker – ability to convert concepts to drawings for use by the project team.
- Clearly takes ideas from big picture thinking to detailed execution work.
- Able to prioritize project deadlines.
- Action-oriented and able to work with a team.
- Persistent, dedicated, motivated, and sense of humour.
- Strategic thinker working in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Professional and respectful.
- Exercises independent judgement and discretion in performing tasks.
- Applying innovative ideas and pro-actively working to optimize projects, supporting the successful on time and on budget development of projects.
- Assisting operating facilities to meet revenue targets.
- Work collaboratively with other BluEarth groups to uphold and demonstrate the company’s values.
- Playing a key role in the development of renewable energy projects.
- Working for a well-capitalized start-up company with a team that has a long track record of success and entrepreneurship.
- Opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to the success of the Company.
- Being associated with a low-impact, growing renewable power company.
- A compensation package that includes an ownership stake in the Company.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please send your resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, noting “Lead, Engineering” in the subject line. Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.